£55,000 - £70,000 p/a
Accounting and Finance
Working mainly within a small team within BDO's Technical Standards Group (TSG), the candidate will be involved in ensuring that the firm operates within a sound ethical environment, is up-to-date and protected in the areas of audit independence and other ethical matters, both in relation to the UK environment and internationally. The candidate will report to a Senior Manager and the firm's Ethics Partner and will work closely with a number of different teams across the firm.
The role would suit an assistant manager or manager who is a qualified accountant and who has worked in audit or, if not a qualified accountant, an individual who has previously worked in a role applying ethical standards or a similar regulatory framework. The candidate should enjoy carrying out detailed analysis of laws and regulations with an ability to then apply the relevant information in varied practical and complex situations. The role involves significant interaction with the firms partners, manager and staff and therefore the successful candidate will also have the ability to explain the issues identified to a wide range of individuals including those at a senior level within a professional practice.
TSG provides technical support, training and quality control services on ethical, financial reporting, and auditing matters. Predominantly internally focussed and based in London, the department's principal client is the firm's audit stream but it also regularly interacts with non-audit streams such as tax and advisory. TSG comprises of approximately 50 members of staff and is led by two partners.
* Responding to ethical and independence queries and consultations from partners and members of staff from across the firm. This involves regular contact with senior members of the firm and resolving their queries accurately, seeking further guidance where necessary.
* Supporting the Ethics Senior Manager and Ethics Partner in the design and implementation of systems and controls and in delivering the overall ethics function's strategy.
* Assisting more junior members of the team in projects and in responding to queries.
* Maintaining and updating the firm's ethical and independence guidance generally.
* Developing learning materials on ethical matters and carrying out training.
* Working alongside the Quality & Risk Management Team to resolve exceptions arising from the annual and new joiner declaration processes.
* Assisting the Ethics Senior Manager and Ethics Partner in responding to regulator queries.
* Relevant experience in a similar position, either a qualified accountant with some experience of ethics and independence or, if not a qualified accountant, experience of having worked in an audit or a technical department.
* Strong communication skills - both written and oral.
* Willingness to work as part of a close-knit team and as a self-directed individual.
* Good interpersonal skills, with ability to create productive relationships across the firm and network and to influence other senior professionals.
* A conscientious and thorough approach with strong attention to detail.
* Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work.
* An ability to develop further knowledge of the rules, policies and procedures.
* Highly motivated with a desire to seek new ways of improving our service to internal clients.
* An awareness of the ICAEW Code of Ethics and the Financial Reporting Council's Ethical Standard for auditors would be beneficial but is not compulsory
Enter your information below